Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vacation Savings!!!

So, obviously i've been vacationing for awhile (hence the lack of posts). I've been wanting to post ways to save money while spending time with your families on vacations. One of the biggest expenses is food, right? Well, Last week I went to lake powell with my extended family. Each sibling is assigned one dinner to feed the entire family, and every individual family brings all their own breakfasts, lunches, and snacks. The entire week was so cheap for my family! I brought 3 boxes of cereal which cost me about $0.25 each. I brought deli meat, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch which was also in my pantry and freezers when I stocked up. Then I made chinese chicken salad for dinner for about 25 people, which was my biggest expense but still didn't cost me much! On top of all that I brought water bottles, capri suns, pop, and all kinds of snacks which mostly came from my pantry!!!

We are also going to Park City over the July 4th weekend to spend a few days in a condo. This condo has a kitchen!!! Guess what that means? Yes, I can bring lots of food from home to save money! I am actually gonna make up a few dinners from home so I won't have to spend my time cooking! Who wants to cook while on vacation? Definitely not me! I am going to make 3 lasagna dishes. We'll have one tonight, one to take on vacation, and freeze one to make up when you get home. I definitely need a break when I get home too!

By planning your meals around items you already have in your food storage and freezer, or from those items that are on sale for the week, you can save hundreds of dollars! If you have a large family like mine, you can spend $50+ every time you take your family to a restaurant. Save that money for more fun activities, be frugal with your food budget and you can make your vacation inexpensive and still fun!!!

Please add a comment if you have a great idea you'd like to share for saving money while on vacation!!

1 comment:

  1. Here is what Michelle did for saving money...

    Just wanted to comment about saving money while on vacation. We drove my sister home to Missouri last week. We put a cooler in the back of the van and stocked it with Capri Sun, Water, Tuna salad, lunch meat and cheese. Also on hand were snack crackers, granola bars and fruit sancks. Instead of stopping for fast food, we'd make sandwiches when we stopped for a bathroom break. The kids liked that we could just keep driving and "get there already". We stayed in hotel rooms that offered a free hot breakfast. So with breakfast handled, we ate a cheap lunch and ordered out for pizza for dinner. It's amazing how much of what I took on the trip I was able to pull from what I already had on hand.
    It made it so easy to pack for the trip not having to go shopping first.
    Thanks Michelle for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete